How To Apply
Social Change Fund Deadline: First Business Day of February (February 1, 2013)
Fund of the Sacred Circle: First Business day of August (August 1, 2013)
Headwaters Foundation for Justice is a catalyst for social, racial, economic and environmental justice. Since 1985, through activist grantmaking, capacity building, and philanthropic alliances, Headwaters has supported grassroots groups transforming the root causes of injustice.
Headwaters' grantmaking advances two core objectives:
- Changing systems of injustice
- Increasing the power of historically excluded communities
Groups must meet Headwaters’ general funding criteria:
- Organizations or coalitions addressing the root causes or conditions of a community’s social, economic, environmental or racial injustices.
- Organizing is the primary means of engaging the affected community directly in addressing the issues.
- Organizing strategy impacts social, economic and political institution(s) or systems that perpetuate injustice.
- Leadership is constituent based, led by, and accountable to the community that is affected by the issue.
- Organization has limited access to traditional funding sources. Generally we support organizations with budgets under $500,000.
- Working in Alliance: Headwaters is focused on supporting organizations that are working in a collaborative process.
- For the Social Change Fund, the organization and work is based in Minnesota. For the Fund of the Sarced Circle, the organization and work is based in Minnesota or Wisconsin.
Social Change Fund Application
Fund of the Sacred Circle Application
With your application, please include:
- Proposal including cover page, responses to the application question and budget
- List of board members, volunteers and staff
- One copy of your IRS letter of determination or one copy of your Certificate of Incorporation
If you are unsure about where or if you should apply, you please review the Frequently Asked Questions or contact Headwaters Program staff.
Monica Bryand 612-879-0602 ext. 10 or firstname.lastname@example.org
David Nicholson 612-879-0602 ext. 11 or email@example.com