Jobs / Internships / Volunteer Opportunities
Headwaters Foundation for Justice seeks a Development Director to operate resource development and communications efforts for a grassroots focused community foundation.
The successful candidate will be a senior manager with inspirational leadership qualities, experience, and thorough knowledge of the role of fundraising in supporting a grassroots community foundation. This person will have a successful track record of personally cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major and principal gifts from individuals, foundations, and corporations coupled with experience creating a development strategic plan and executing a communications campaign. The Development Director must have an understanding of development and communication and technology, including Raiser’s Edge. In addition, the ideal candidate will have skills in the areas of personal networking, viral marketing, and other web 2.0 tools, as well as the ability to assess and improve systems and processes to further development goals. The ideal candidate will have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to relate to a wide and diverse audience. This position will report directly to the Executive Director.
Provide leadership and strategic direction for major gift efforts, including prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major gifts from individuals, foundations and corporations for overall development efforts to raise an annual budget of $2 million.
- Work jointly with the Executive Director to manage a major gift portfolio of approximately 100 prospects, utilize knowledge of methods of giving, including tax-deferred giving, non-cash gifts, tax-driven gifts, and planned giving.
- Plan, execute, and evaluate a comprehensive fundraising plan, including personal solicitations, mail appeals, special events, major gifts, and foundation grantseeking programs.
- Integrate other external relations activities, including marketing, communication, and event planning to achieve development goals.
- Work collaboratively with the Executive Director and an engaged Board of Directors to design and execute marketing materials, including annual reports, e-newsletters, press releases, events invitations and other targeted communications.
- Oversee the recruitment, activities, and training of volunteers to support fundraising and communications activities, including the Development Committee, special events committees, Board of Directors, and others.
- Utilize Raiser’s Edge database to track and analyze advancement efforts and to report to the Board of Directors.
- Execute “friend-raising” strategies and activities, as well as fundraising activities to increase Headwaters’ visibility in the community.
- Develop an annual budget and fundraising plan, and produce reports and documentation as needed.
- Oversee Donor Advised Account relations and Giving Circles as core strategy for donor engagement.
- Effectively engage agency staff, volunteers, and Board of Directors in development activities.
- Manage administrative staff to assist in development functions.
- Successful solicitation of major gifts ($10,000+) from individuals, foundations, and corporations, including gift identification, solicitation, closure, and retainment.
- Proven track record of achieving revenue targets and/or a quota of over $1 million annually.
- Proven track record using social media strategies for leverage and align messaging, tactics, and opportunities for support.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and persuasively to multiple audiences through a wide range of mediums.
- Experience with capital campaigns, including work on planning, implementing, developing case statements, and securing gifts.
- Familiarity with philanthropic organizations and/or community foundations.
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience in development or advancement.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree, advanced degree preferred.
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge fundraising software is preferred.
- High degree of multi-cultural competence and sensitivity.
Headwaters offers a competitive salary, excellent benefits package, including generous paid time, health insurance, dental insurance, short and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, 401k plan, and other benefits.
Please submit cover letter, resume, salary requirements, names and contact information of three professional references, and two relevant professional writing samples. Application materials must be received by February 7, 2014. No calls please.
Headwaters Foundation for Justice
2801 21st Avenue S, Suite 132B
Minneapolis, MN 55407
If you are interested in volunteering with Headwaters Foundation for Justice contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 612 879-0602 ext. 15.